The Museum-reserve of I. S. Turgenev "Spasskoye-Lutovinovo"
Oryol oblast, a village in Spasskoye-Lutovinovo Museum str., 3
Visit the house where the great Russian writer spent his childhoodIvan Turgenev lived in a house in Spassky-Lutovinovo as a child. He loved these places and always came back from his travels in Europe. Within these walls, he wrote many works. Among them are "rudin", "the Noble Nest", "faust", "fathers And Children", And Others. The Spasskoye-Lutovinovo Museum-Reserve is the only memorial museum of this great writer in Russia.
the main wealth of the reserve is considered to be the house-museum of ivan turgenev, which exhibits the writer's belongings. Also on the territory you can see the Lutovinovs ' family chapel, almshouse, stables, carriage house, harness room, bathhouse and cellar. the literary exposition "russian european" is open in the wing. And the manor park is now again well-groomed and beautiful. many consider it a fine example of russian manor garden and park art of the late xviii-early xix centuries.
The museum's collection contains many books, including the first and lifetime editions of Turgenev's works.
among the things that have been preserved in the house of turgenev, his hunting rifle, made by a czech master and a sofa, which the writer called "samoson". this sofa was remembered by many guests of the estate.
the collection of old photographs is of great interest. The photos show the writer himself, his family and friends, as well as literary statesmen of Russia of the XIX century. Photos with views of Spassky-Lutovinov have also been preserved. They were taken in September 1883, the author-the famous St. Petersburg photographer G. Carrick.
The estate and park complex in Spassky-Lutovinov was built at the end of the XVIII century by Ivan Turgenev's great-uncle. In the center of the estate was a two-story wooden house with stone galleries.
varvara petrovna turgeneva, the mother of the future writer, spent the first spring and summer in spassky together with her children in 1819. and in 1823, after traveling through europe, the turgenevs settled in spassky and lived a village life. Ivan Turgenev often returned here as an adult.
after his death in 1883, the fate of the turgenev family home was sad. the estate and land were leased, the house was not repaired or heated, and it gradually fell into disrepair. Everything of value – manuscripts, portraits, documents, family heirlooms-was taken away by the heirs. And in January 1906 there was a fire in the house… Fortunately, the new owners had already removed the furniture and library.
In the following years, the estate had an unsightly appearance. The park was overgrown and wild, trees were cut down for various needs, buildings that were located on the territory of the estate were slowly stolen.
after the revolution, in 1918, the spasskaya manor was declared a national treasure. At the same time, the Turgenev Museum opened in Orel. In the late 20s, the estate decided to restore, and by the end of the 30s, it became a branch of the Oryol State Museum of Turgenev. in order to restore the historical building, the memoirs of the writer's contemporaries, sketches and photographs of the estate were studied. Work has also begun on clearing the park. and then the war began, and the village of spasskoye-lutovinovo fell into occupation. The territory was dug up with trenches, the pond with the broken dam dried up, the alleys of the park were filled with trees.
However, in 1944, the reserve was reopened to the public. it was cleared of mines and shells, felled trees were removed, trenches were buried… Since then, the museum has developed, the exposition has increased.
Since the foundation of the estate, the Church of the Transfiguration of the Saviour has been preserved, where Turgenev's parents were married in 1816. The church is active, services and sacraments are held there
The homestead park is closely connected with the memory of Turgenev. On the shore of the pond there is still a favorite bench of the writer. Also preserved is a gazebo formed by a ring of lime trees, which is described in the novel "Rudin". Turgenev mentions the park in the story "Punin and Baburin", and in the pages of the novels "Faust", "Ghosts" and many other works.